Welcome to CS 636 Operating Systems for Spring 2013.
Tue Apr 25
- Paper 11: Spanner Paper (PDF) Evals due Wed April 24 at 8pm.
Tue Apr 23
- Paper 10: Cassandra Paper (PDF) Evals due Mon April 22 at 8pm.
Thu Apr 18
Tue Apr 16
- Paper 9: BigTable Paper (PDF) Evals due Mon April 15 (Tax Day) at 8pm.
Thu Apr 11
Tue Apr 9
- Paper 8: Dynamo: Amazon's Highly Available Key-value Store. (PDF) Evals due Mon Apr 8 at 8pm.
Thu Apr 4
- Paper 7: Brewer's Conjecture and the Feasibility of Consistent, Available, Partition-Tolerant Web Services by S. Gilbert and N. Lynch. (PDF) Evals due Wed April 3 at 8pm.
Tue Apr 2
- Building Reliable Systems
Thu Mar 28
Tue Mar 26
- Paper 6: MapReduce (PDF) Evals due Mon Mar 25 at 8pm.
Thu Mar 21
- Paper 5: The Google File System (PDF) Evals due Wed Mar 20 at 8pm.
Thu Mar 7
Tue Mar 5
Thu Feb 28
- Paper 4: Zab: High-performance broadcast for primary-backup systems by F. P. Junqueira, B. C. Reed, and M. Serafini. (PDF) Evals due Wed Feb 27 at 8pm.
- Paper 4b: A simple totally ordered broadcast protocol by B. Reed and F. P. Junqueira. (PDF)
Tue Feb 26
Thu Feb 21
Thu Feb 14
- Paper 3: Paxos Made Simple by Leslie Lamport (PDF). Evals due Mon Feb 18 at 8pm.
Tue Feb 12
Thu Feb 7
- Further discussion of all leader election algorithms
- Discuss leader election implementation and testing
- Please get your Python/ZeroRPC environment setup so you can ask questions.
Tue Feb 5
Continue discussion of Garcia-Molina paper and the Invitation Algorithm.
- Paper 2: Leader Election in Distributed Systems with Crash Failure by Scott D. Stoller (PDF). Evals due Mon Feb 4 at 8pm.
- Introduction to consensus in distributed systems.
Thu Jan 31
Tue Jan 29
- Python crash course
Thu Jan 23
- Paper 1: Elections in a Distributed Computing System by Garcia-Molina (PDF). Evals due Wed Jan 24 at 8pm.
Tue Jan 21
- Leader Election
Instructor: Greg Benson
Office: Harney 533
Office Hours: Tue/Thu 3:00pm-4:30pm, Wed 2pm-4pm, and by appointment